Sunday, November 15, 2015

Phoenix Trip Sketches

In Phoenix, Arizona by Mike Daikubara

Business trips can be exhausting but they're also a nice way to get away for a while and see/experience new things - especially when taking trips to a new location.

This was my first time visiting Phoenix and I was pretty excited - also because it was really warm out there and during this time Boston was still getting pounded with historical record breaking snow.

Warm up sketches usually start off at the airport and inside the plane. Just a great way to shift the mind and to get into the mode of travel sketching.

Boston Airport Untitled


Landing in Phoenix, I took the light rail into the city instead of taking the cab since I was in no rush. I tend to prefer walking, biking and public transportation over cars since it allows me to see the surroundings better. Train to downtown

After checking in, I walked around the city sketching and looking for a place to eat. Church Also ran into a classic car street festival.  Wish I had eaten prior to finding this festival since I was too hungry to sketch.Car Untitled


For breakfast, I frequently ate at this nice breakfast place next to the hotel. This was one of the most health conscious dishes I've ever had. Maybe too health conscious for me...Breakfast

It was a Sunday and I had some free time. The hotel had a rental bike (free!) so I just freely rode around the city. Untitled 

I ran into a place called the 'Friendship Garden' - quite fascinating to find a Japanese garden in a desert area. Koi carps and everything. Very tranquil.

Friendship Garden Koi Carps @ ROHOEN (鷺鳳園) Japanese friendship garden in Phoenix Arizona. Sketching the Koi carps - very relaxing. 


The same church drawn on day 1 but this time looking from a balcony across the street. That's were my conference was taking place.


church 
Fountain  

I had my (free) hotel bicycle so I didn't get a chance to try these city bikes placed throughout the city but these bikes had really nice attention to details and quite high tech too.


GRID Bicycles


I also had some time to visit the Heard Museum (American Indian Art and History) which was fascinating, and an amazing exhibition of Da Vinci's original writing/drawings were on display at the Phoenix Art Museum.


Hopi Katsinas @ Heard Museum Phoenix Museum Phoenix Museum leonardo Da Vinci - The Codex Leicester @ Phoenix Art Museum. I'm so glad i had my emergency "Golf" pencil with me to get a sketch of this at the museum. Absolutely fascinating person and i'm sure he had very little friends...

No comments: