Monday, September 22, 2014

Hotel Sketches sometimes feels like hard work - Yet I'm still addicted!

I've drawn every hotel room I've stayed in the past 8 years by measuring and drawing on location.
It started off as just a simple way of remembering my trip along with all the other sketches I do during a trip.

Recently this is starting to feel a little bit like work since no matter how tired I am, I need to spend 4 to 6 hours drawing the room. Sometimes I get the temptation to just want to relax by watching TV over a drink or two.

Last weeks trip to Rhode Island felt this way.
My wife took a picture of me and told me I didn't look happy working on the drawing - and it's true, it felt like a chore.

Yet now that the trips over and I look back at the sketch, I'm glad I captured the room.
It was a difficult to capture room but quite a unique one compared to mainstream hotels.

I have a feeling I'm going to continue sketching hotel rooms with this mindset for many more years to come  :)






No comments: